The prophesy of an expansive powerful city, Nineveh, that is spiraling out of control into destruction, because of God’s justice.
Here were a few key verses that caught my attention as I read.
- YHWH is jealous, avenging, and full of wrath for his enemies
- YHWH is slow to anger and great in power
The verses seem contradictory, but it makes you ponder what must it take to stir up God’s anger if he is slow to it?
- “YHWH is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; he knows those who take refuge in him.”
- “Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace!”
- Why is this happening to Nineveh? “YHWH is restoring the majesty of Jacob”
- Why is this happening to Nineveh?
- full of lies
- countless whorings of the prostitute
- Applause from Nineveh’s enemies “There is no easing your hurt; your wound is grievous. All who hea the news about you clap their hands over you. For upon whom has not come your unceasing evil?
I just read Jonah a few days ago for my devotions and God was rescuing Nineveh, but now in Nahum God promises utter destruction to Nineveh.